This is a blog based around Sal's period 4 Sociology class.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tuesdays with Morrie

In Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch values hard work by getting his articles done by the set deadlines, he travels all over the place to report the latest in sports, and committed his life to his job. As he starts to spend more time with Morrie, he starts to learn that achievement and success aren't necessarily related to how well you do in a career, it's how well you do in life. Morrie told Mitch that he wanted to become a teacher because he didn't want a job that would make him walk all over people. He wanted to do something that would make a difference, and it shows that he did make a difference because Mitch was a former student, and Morrie was a big impact in his life. Mitch learns that commitment to work is not everything, and success is having Janine in his life, and proposing to her shows they'll be happy together, and he said he wanted to start a family, which in a lot of people's minds including my own, makes you successful. I think successful means to be happy. If someone is making millions of dollars and they are lonely and miserable, I don't think they're successful when you look at their life as a whole. Yes they're successful in making money, but someone once said "money doesn't buy you happiness" and it's so true. My parents always talk about how they wish their parents pushed them harder in college to go in the field they loved. My dad would have gone to Loyola University to become a writer, and instead went to Columbia College and works for a big corporation always saying how he wished he became a writer. I think once you are in high school or get your first job, you start to value hard work and success. In school, I always take my work seriously, and when I first became a camp counselor, I valued hard work and success from the beginning because I was once a camper at the camp i work at, and I knew the campers wanted a counselor that cares, and at the end of the summer when they are crying and hugging you not wanting to let go, you know you were successful for making that child's summer the best it could be.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement that, "success isn't necessarily related to how well you do in a career, it's how well you do in life." For instance, my Uncle was a very rich man and successful with his job, but was also divorced and was diagnosed with depression.

    ReplyDelete