This is a blog based around Sal's period 4 Sociology class.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Just DO nothing

I think I got the most challenging assignment ever this week. In class we were told we had to literally "do nothing". I thought it was a joke at first because I didn't understand it exactly. It was basically zoning out, but still being aware of surroundings. I decided to do nothing at my homecoming after party. It took me forever to decide how I was going to take on the experiment. I stood against a wall kind of in a corner where it wasn't really noticeable, and just stood there. I kept thinking "why am I doing this?" I couldn't get myself to concentrate for at least 5 minutes. Finally I started to do nothing. It was weird just standing there, watching and listening to what people were saying. I got stares from people, weird faces, people asking each other questions if I was okay, and people that didn't even notice. It was so hard not to be able to stop and tell them what was going on. I could have told everyone for ten minutes I was just going to stand there, but then I would not have gotten the full experience of people looking at me like I was crazy. It was a great experience to step out of the real life for a second and just view the teenage culture/society.

3 comments:

  1. That must have been so hard to do at your after party! Especially because people can make a lot of assumptions. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with Olivia...that probably took a lot of courage to do at your afterparty, since people can make a lot of assumptions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I hope you were really able to do the exercise. If you were, what were you able to see?

    ReplyDelete